Draper Tools started out in 1919 when the founder, Bert Draper, sold government surplus and tools around the Kingston Upon Thames' markets. This led to the purchase of the original warehouse, from which the Draper Tool Company Limited as we know it today was born, although at this time it was known as B. Draper & Son Limited and owned the trademark B.D.S.
Although Drapers sold its own brand as early as this time, it was also a quality Engineers Merchant and Tool Wholesaler, selling brands well known today, such as, Britool, King Dick, Elliott Lucas, etc. Bert Draper Passed away in 1963 and control of the Company passed to his son Norman. With the increased business and cramped conditions at Kingston, Norman purchased the freehold rights to the current premises in Chandler's Ford, Hampshire at auction in 1963.