The History Of Yandles

The History Of Yandles

Yandles was founded in 1860 by Henry Yandle, a wheelwright, after he resettled his family from Wiveliscombe to the then small, but prosperous Village of Martock.  It is thought that as the cloth mills around Wiveliscombe began to decline, Henry moved to Martock where there was a buoyant and successful industry based around agriculture.

It would seem that as a wheelwright he found plenty of work and soon began to expand his business with the help of his two sons, William and Fredrick.  The Company carried out repairs to local properties, built the local gas works and several houses, as well as commencing the manufacture of gates, ladders etc. out of locally felled timber. By the start of the Great War the Company had developed a successful sawmilling business and during the War manufactured parts for gun carriages and ammunition boxes.

After the war the Company continued to expand its timber operations, sourcing timber locally, using Ash, Elm and Oak. Initially, running the Mill on steam with 14 heavy horses being used to haul the timber. 

Gradually, Yandles began to move into the production of Elm Coffin sets (these consisted of a pair of ends and sides, a lid and bottom supplied in planed and sanded boards ready for the Coffin Manufacturer/Undertaker to assemble into a coffin) and after the Second World War this became their main production line.

Continue Reading.......

7th November 2014

Back to news